Thursday, May 28, 2009

Mangoes galore!


Back in November, I could smell the mango blossom from the platform of the South Miami Metrorail station. I find it a disagreeable scent, but I'm happy to put up with it because of the end product.

To notice the fragrance from the platform was one indication that the trees had gone into overdrive, and sure enough, everywhere you went they were covered in the rather dull Christmas tree-like flower spikes.

Then we had a very cold spell, and it threatened the harvest. Maybe we didn't get all that the fall promised, but I'm not complaining. I've even been picking ripe mangoes from the swale, where owners can't be bothered to reclaim them.

This is just a small backyard tree, and you can reach the top with a step stool, but it's laden. The fruit are ridiculously large. Lucky homeowner!

No comments: