Sunday, November 1, 2009

Going bananas


We take bananas for granted; they are, after all, only an everyday fruit. But there's a whole bunch (pardon the pun) more to them than that.

I grow a "Brazilian dwarf," which I thought meant that the plants would be dwarf, but it turns out the name refers to the fruit, so they are unexpectedly tall. I also have a true dwarf which produces apple-flavored bananas, and I'm encouraging a struggling plant that supposedly produces bananas with red flesh. I also have ornamentals, meaning the fruit is inedible, with variegated leaves of a stunning red and green.

This photo, which I took at Fairchild earlier in the week, is of another ornamental. The fruit and flowers are simply spectacular. Click on the picture to see the flower's occupant.

2 comments:

MrBrownThumb said...

I'm envious that you get to grow bananas. There's a variety that can survive in my area with a lot of winter protection but it seems like too much work.

I'm rooting for global warming.

:0)

Penny said...

Hey, MBT, I remember being very surprised to see them growing in containers along the Miracle Mile a few summers ago during a visit. I assume that the city has a place to overwinter them. I still buy most of my bananas at the store, if that makes you feel better. :)