Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Great Backyard Bird Count

A blue-gray gnatcatcher
The 2011 Great Backyard Bird Count is taking place this weekend, and everyone in North America is invited to participate, even if it's only for 15 minutes. All you need is pen and paper, and you've got today and tomorrow's holiday to participate.

For me, of course, it's just another excuse to be outside on this glorious day. But instead of gardening tools I've got binoculars, camera and bird books .

I logged 12 species in the hour from 11:30 to 12:30, although I suspect if I'd started in the early morning, I would have seen more. Maybe I'll get up early tomorrow. Maybe ...

4 comments:

David said...

Such a great idea!
My birding friend says to wake up at 5:30 to see the most birds as the dawn arises.
I'm going to work tomorrow, but I get up at 5:50 anyway.

Take care,
David/ Houston :-)

Terra Mirabilis said...

Hey, David. Go for it!!

James David said...

There are a handful of species that visits my garden but all flee too quickly before I really can capture them on camera.
Somehow I'm glad to note that birds visit my garden.
Happy bird watching.

Terra Mirabilis said...

Hey, James. I think birds should be encouraged to come into the garden. Do you have a bird feeder or two? Birds are easier to photograph when they visit the feeder.