Monday, April 13, 2009

Scavenging

At the weekend, I get on my bike and take the dogs (one at a time) for a run. Most weeks, some yard crew has thrown out good plant material that I'll come back for in the car if I can't get it into the basket. Sundays are good for finding plants that zealous homeowners have discarded.

This weekend I found:
  • Several large clumps of heliconia rhizomes. I have no idea what species, but that's part of the fun. (Gardens are never static, and moving things around is just what you have to do.)
  • The rhizome for a burgundy-leaved calocasia. Or maybe it's an alocasia; I get them mixed up. Anyway, it's an elephant ear.
  • Canes from a pink-flowered (cane) begonia.
  • Cuttings from a pretty coleus.
  • A large bromeliad, just finishing flowering but with pups already appearing. (I find lots of bromeliads.) I don't know what this one is, but I'll post a photo soon.
All in all, it was a good weekend's haul.

1 comment:

The Consummate Gardener said...

I have also rescued plants and bulbs from the roadside and from yard trash piles. It's a great way to get plants!

Please consider joining our Florida Gardening Friends group on facebook http://groups.to/floridagardening friends.

Also, I'm going to be putting you on my blogroll at The Consummate Gardener..no obligation to give me a reciprocal link. http://theconsummategardener.com.

Happy Gardening!