Monday, April 5, 2010

Karma and gardening

Once a week I go to a Tibetan Buddhist dharma center to work in the garden. Considering its location, just a few miles north of downtown Miami, it's a surprisingly big garden. At the moment, I'm the only person volunteering there, so until others get the gardening bug, things only just stay tamed.

I was there last Thursday. It was one of those days that make us remember why we live in South Florida: warm and sunny with the slightest chill on the breeze. I found a shady chair at the end of the garden, which has become totally wild, and gave myself up to the day. Butterflies, damsel flies, bees, citrus blossom, wild flowers. Even the city noise dimmed. And all the while, a mockingbird sang his heart out above me.

Buddhists say that experiencing moments like this is the karmic consequence of previous positive actions. Upon recognizing that, one immediately pays forward such "merit," asking that all sentient beings may, in turn, experience such peace.

8 comments:

James David said...

Its very calm and serene with or without the Karma effects to tend a quiet garden.
Hope you enjoyed the lovely treasured moments.

Terra Mirabilis said...

I did, James. :)

NanaK said...

How nice to volunteer in such a garden. The days have been so pleasant lately it does bring joy in being outside.

Terra Mirabilis said...

Hey, Nana. Anyone who gardens knows that God lives in a garden, no?

Kimberly said...

Beautiful, peaceful garden!

Terra Mirabilis said...

Indeed!

Susan said...

I'll bet you enjoy a lot of peace and joy while tending to this spiritual garden. They are lucky to have you, and I'm sure you'll soon have other like-minded folks join you.

Terra Mirabilis said...

Hey, Susan. Yes, it is wonderfully peaceful, and gardening vols come and go, but I'm actually very happy there on my own.