Friday, April 23, 2010

Visiting my mother-in-law in Atlanta ...

My MIL lives in Buckhead, which, if you know Atlanta, is an area of grand homes and splendid gardens.

I've missed the dogwoods, but the azaleas are at their best, and I'm told that it's the "best best" for years.

My MIL is elderly, frail, and has a list of ailments as long as your arm. Each weekday is about trips to this clinic followed by appointments with that doctor. It's no vacation.

Whenever I can, I escape to the garden and its magnificent oaks, magnolias and tulip maples. I look up at these towering trees, breathe in their spirit and feel my own blood pressure sink. To paraphrase the King James version of Psalm 121, "I lift up mine eyes to the trees ..." The sun is warm and the flowers are glorious. It only takes a few minutes to feel restored.

8 comments:

Floridagirl said...

Beautiful photos! I lived in Atlanta for a few years (though not in Buckhead!), and there is nothing like spring in that part of the world.

NanaK said...

Gorgeous photos of a gorgeous part of the world. Those azaleas are incredible. I know what you mean about being able to gain some peace by going outside in a garden during stressful times. Hope your MIL was able to enjoy your time with her.

BernieH said...

So beautiful ... what a stunning part of the world! Those azaleas are just drop dead gorgeous!

Kimberly said...

Absolutely gorgeous photos! I'm glad you had the chance to get away, enjoy family and beatiful views!

Terra Mirabilis said...

Thanks everyone. I'm here until Tuesday. I'm SO glad I took the photos when I did because it rained hard overnight and the azaleas are looking very sad this morning.

Noel Morata said...

aloha penny,

love this garden, pretty fancy and beautiful!

did i ever invite you to the hot, lout and proud meme at the end of every month?

here's the last one, hope you can join us for the end of the month....

http://aplantfanatic.blogspot.com/2010/03/hot-loud-and-proud.html

Susan said...

Lovely photos. My husband was up there a week ago on business and he was telling me how beautiful everyone's yard was and how folks from Georgia take their azaleas very seriously.

Terra Mirabilis said...

@Noel: I'll be there!

@Susan: Do they ever! Actually, I'm trying to persuade my MIL to plant some Knock Out roses, too, since they do well here and will provide color long after the azaleas have gone.